Suddenly,
the bell rang. I was expecting a mail from USA as my best friend said that she
has posted me some gifts. I have always been excited about gifts so I ran to
open the door. But, my guess went wrong. In front of me stood a Japanese guy
with familiar looking piece of plastic pack in his hand. I could soon figure
out that it was a “Wai Wai” pack. “Wai Wai” instant noodle normally is one of
the very often packed items in every luggage that checks out the international
airport in Nepal. But, what is this guy doing with this pack? Before, I could
make out any meanings; he asked me if I was from Nepal. I proudly replied “yes”.
I have always been amazed by the Japanese way of making one realize mistakes. Even
if I make a mistake, they are the one to apologize first. He asked me if I had
by mistake mixed that pack to the burnable organic garbage. I was shocked, not
because I must have been more careful so but the way he used the pack to trace
me. I could then understand this interesting story though I was already ashamed
of the guilt to ask how he confirmed that it was me. Actually, the “Made in
Nepal” note in the thrown away pack made him knock my door. We are indeed the
only Nepalese in the neighborhood. I apologized and assured him that I would be
more cautious ahead. He left with a smile. His smile could be interpreted in
multiple ways. I could take it as a big blow on my face for my negligence or to
keep my moral high I could take it as a reward for admitting my mistake. Once
again, I decided to stick to the second possibility.
By
the time, he was gone I realized that I was getting late for my Japanese class.
I quickly dressed up, packed my bag and was ready to move. I rushed to the
community center for the class. Though, it is only about 5 minutes walk I need
to cross the traffic signal once which unfortunately at this time was red. I
needed to wait while I had only a minute left for the class. It is not very welcome
if you are late anywhere in Japan so I had two options. I could either wait for
the signal to go green and enter class a bit late or cross the signal in red to
be on time for class. I live in a small city where traffic is usually sparse. The
road was all clear and I could see not even a clue of any upcoming vehicle. I
decided to cross and marched ahead in red light. After crossing the road, I
turned back to see the crossing line that witnessed me breaking the rules. On
the other side of the street, I could see a school boy of hardly 6 years who
was still waiting for the signal to go green. In hurry, I missed noticing this
little boy who was waiting patiently to follow the traffic rules. He smiled at
me. This time his smile was crystal clear. It could hold no double meaning. I
was totally embarrassed for what I had done and his innocent smile made me
realize my fault. When six years old had such a respect for the traffic rule,
how could I be so irresponsible in haste?
Two interesting
incidents of the day urged me to think over and over. In the first case, I was
not careful while segregating waste while in the other case; I intentionally
broke the traffic rule. I cannot make a silly excuse by justifying that I come
from a developing country where breaking rules are not serious offense.
Now,
let me compare myself, with the same six years old boy. He waited in the
traffic signal as he has been taught to follow the traffic rules. I was taught
the same at almost his age, however, he is practicing what he learnt while I learnt
and didn’t practice. So, the difference is in the practice not in education. If
majority don’t segregate waste and disregard the traffic signal, breaking rule
becomes a rule. What if majority follows rule? Then the minority breaking the
rules will start obeying them in embarrassment. We often don’t take these
things seriously as we think that everyone is doing so. However, just because
everyone is doing doesn’t mean that’s the right thing to do. Have we been conscious
enough to at least make sure that we are practicing what we have been taught? We
have been taught exactly same rules that developed country students learn. But, we always have played blame games and
figured out the weaknesses that exist in our system. We tend to forget that we
are the ones making this system. We underestimate our guts to change the system
simply by transforming our personal attitude. We have always counted the wrinkles
in our face but have we ever thought of ways to look more beautiful?
No comments:
Post a Comment