Maria is still alive !!
Maria was born in 1983. But, death spares no young. She died last year. I thought life is not always fair and I was disheartened. The cherry tree planted in her memory has grown big enough to shelter little birds when they are tired learning to fly. Hopefully, next year some flowers will bloom and fresh cherries will serve appealing feast to these birds. The bright side, a life was gone but a life has come. I never knew Maria and how could I? She was an African origin studying in Japan in the university where I was a guest for a couple of days attending a conference last spring. The conference has blurred in my mind but the memory note in the tree trunk “You are still alive” is still vivid. Life is like a flame of a candle that vanishes when wind chooses its way through it. Where does the flame go? This remains unanswered. It’s simply gone but Maria is not, she is breathing and making the others to breathe. She is alive with chirping birds, the mesmerizing cherry flowers and aromatic ripen fruits.
In Hindu Culture funeral pyre is lit
up to transform the dead to Nirvana. In the other scene a tree has been slaughtered.
Well, I do not have any hard feelings against religious values and norms but the
nature blues prevail as this continues over time. Death is inevitable and so is
new life. Life is a stage and human are mere actors, as Shakespeare had said.
We just step in and leave the theatre as the curtain falls down. We will
continue doing so. No wonder, we cannot compensate human demise by any means.
But, can’t we remunerate the loss of nature? Can’t we pay tribute to the deceased
ones by planting a tree in their memories? We can invite monsoon sooner, rejoice
the wandering birds and get rid of the alarming environmental despair. The gone
ones are gone anyway, we can at least live in illusions that they are breathing
in a different form. What’s wrong in accepting the tranquil illusion that Maria
is still alive!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment